Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 2: Berlin

Today is a travel day, Berlin to Prague by bus.

Yesterday we had a two-part trip. In the morning, we went to Wansee. Our tour guide, Christophe, is a published historian and he gave a presentation. His delivery and focus towards us (educators) perfectly captured our attention (for close to three hours).
Some facts about the Wansee "Convention."
-Hitler did not attend. He was too busy with movies and races.
-Eichmann called on fourteen of Hitler's ministries.
-The "convention" lasted only 90 minutes and was followed by breakfast,
thus illustrating the strategic and organizational nature.
-The purpose was to organize a more "effective" solution to the "problem" of European Jews. 
-Really, the meeting resulted in the formation of a train timetable for deportation and murder. 
-there was actually an expert in shooting another in use of murderous gas (Schongarth).  Seriously?! 
-After the war, a few of the 15 had die naturally or committed suicide. A few were executed after the Nuremberg Trials. Otto Hofmann and Wilhelm Stuckart were "sentenced" in American courts.  Otto Hoffmann to 25, but served six years.  Stuckart served three.  Seems like we Americans look bad. The biggest problem was that really, none of those attendants at the conference had killed anyone directly.  Scary that they organized the Final Solution and didn't have to take really any blame at all. Plus, it seems that America hired Nazi minds for their education and to work for the US. This information comes from my fellow program people, so I may be relating false information. I am inclined, however, to believe it. America can be so selfish. 
-Germans were protected from knowing about the extermination camps. If you recall, none were in Germany. Poland had the most.

The museum is laid out with a variety of sources, including interactive ones. Christophe finished with a photo source lesson, which I plan to use in my own class.  It was also interesting to hear a German speak about German history. It's been a long journey of admitting, ignoring, and teaching younger generations about the Holocaust. 

Following this, we drive to Sachsenhausen. Sachsenhausen was a concentration camp (work) outside of Berlin. I opted to work my way around independently with the recorded tour. Yesterday was a HOT day. To stand in the barracks and walk around the camp in the heat (just walking) made history come alive. I had a similar realization while in Savannah ten years ago as I visited a plantation and the reality of slave labor really settled on me. 

While many concentration and extermination camps are quiet and serene, Sachsenhausen is a serious museum. Barracks and infirmary buildings have been restored, supplemented by personal stories and historical source documents. A person could spend days there reading and experiencing it all. I couldn't. It's so weird to walk in a jail and see plagues and bios of cell mates... One of whose poetry I use in class. 

My first Holocaust experience was a learning experience. I think it served me well to read and then find some reflection walking alone. I'm not quite ready to be in solitude and solace at a relatively unmarked camp. I suspect that by the time we get to Auschwitz-Birkenau, I may be able to really release. 

We had about an hour between returning to our hotel and dinner, so we did a little shopping. Following our dinner (with more beer), I orchestrated a trip to a nearby beer garden.

Now we are on our way and about to put a movie on, "In Darkness." 

No comments:

Post a Comment